Saturday, January 11, 2014

My Favorite New Utensil

My son gave me this hand-held mandoline fruit and vegetable slicer for Christmas and I love the simplicity of it.
~ It can be adjusted for three different slice thicknesses.
~ I can slice directly on a board or plate or hook the non-slip foot over a bowl to ensure the slices drop directly into the bowl.
~ The food holder pokes just enough into the food to secure it firmly and is molded to fit so that it slides easily along the sides of the slicer.
~ Stainless steel blade.
~ It's easy to use and doesn't take up much space.  I keep it stored in it's original wrapping with a rubber band around it so no one slices their hand while rummaging around in the utensil drawer.

I have a much more sophisticated mandoline slicer with many more options.  Unfortunately, I rarely us it because it's sort of an ordeal to set up and clean up.  The tines (is that what they're called?) of the food holder are too long for most foods, although it is supposed to be adjustable, it seems too technically difficult for me.  I don't have enough space to store it in my kitchen so it lives in it's box in the basement.  That being said, this smaller slicer is perfect for most of my needs.

No comments: